Shellharbour City Council will be holding a launch for their new Seed Library at Oak Flats Library on Thursday 17 November at 3:30pm.
Please RSVP to LibraryPrograms@shellharbour.nsw.gov.au by 14 November.
How does the Seed Library Work?
1. Borrow up to two packets of seeds at Oak Flats Library.
2. Grow the seeds in your garden.
3. When it’s time to harvest, save some seeds.
4. Return collected seeds to the seed library to continue the cycle.
What are the benefits of a Seed Library?
• A Seed Library is a way to help build a collection of seeds for others.
• Growing seeds is a great way to teach children about the life cycle of plants, while learning new seed-saving skills for yourself.
• Gardening is wonderful for mindfulness, health and well-being.
• Through the return of successful seeds, a collection can be achieved that will strengthen our biodiversity and food security for our local community.
What Seeds do we have in our seed library?
• We currently offer 22 different types of seeds, including vegetables, herbs and flowers.
• Seeds have been selected to be easy-to-grow, and suitable for our area.
• We expect our seed offerings to change as we discover what our local community prefers, and as seasons change.
Or contact Shellharbour Libraries